The Egg McMuffin. An iconic childhood memory. Though I haven't had one in at least 10 years, regardless of food allergies, I still feel deprived that I can't grab one on the go. Thankfully, eggs and bacon are still on the list of things I can eat, but they are not very portable. My goal was to find a gluten free breakfast sandwich that I could take on the go. Little did I know, this healthy egg muffin would not only be easily transported, but it is also incredibly delicious. I am a big fan of sweet and savory recipes, though I need to dial back on the sweetness factor. This yummy breakfast muffin is the perfect balance of sweet, savory and healthy. I like to take two for breakfast at work and pair it with berries to fill me up. They also make a great mini breakfast quiche or muffin for a weekend brunch.
So, how does my little healthy egg mcmuffin compare to the McDonald's classic? I swapped out the usual suspects of the breakfast sandwich lineup with healthier alternatives - a light, gluten free crust for the English muffin, turkey bacon for pork bacon, feta cheese for American cheese and a drizzle of maple syrup to seal the deal that your tasty mini snack is, in fact, a fabulously homemade breakfast. For me, maple syrup is the epitome of a hearty breakfast. But that may just be my sweet tooth talking. Either way, it is impossible to not McLove this little McMuffin. #mclovin
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Fresh From the Market:
- 6 Organic Large Brown Eggs
- 1/2 c. Diced Turkey Bacon
- 1/2 c. Feta Cheese Crumbles
- 1/3 c. Butter (softened)
From the Pantry:
- 1 c. Brown Rice Flour (or Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour)
- 1/4 c. Water
- 2 tbsp. Grade A Maple Syrup
From the Spice Rack:
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 12 count Muffin Pan
- 2 Large Mixing Bowls
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- We will start with the thin layer of gluten free crust. Either leave the butter out at room temperature ahead of time or zap the 1/3 c. butter in the microwave for a few seconds. Put the brown rice flour, butter, salt and water in one of the mixing bowls. Knead the dough until it forms a round, compact ball.
- You have the option of spritzing each muffin cup with spray oil (I prefer Trader Joe's Coconut Oil Spray) to avoid sticking. Break the dough into 12 evenly sized pieces and place each piece in the muffin cups.
- Spread the dough out in each cup so it completely covers the bottom and have it come up slightly around the edges. Pop it in the oven for 10 minutes so it gets toasty and golden.
- While your gluten free crust is baking, get your healthy egg mcmuffin filling ready.
- Crack all 6 eggs in the other large mixing bowl and whisk the yolks together until smooth. Dice the turkey bacon and toss it in a skillet for 3 to 4 minutes so it becomes crispy and cooked. Add the turkey bacon and feta cheese to the egg mixture and whisk together.
- Take the muffin pan out of the oven and evenly spread the egg mixture across each muffin crust. Pop it back in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. As always, perform the toothpick test to see if it comes out clean.
- Using a butter knife or a basting brush, lightly coat the top of each healthy egg mcmuffin with the maple syrup, to create the most savory breakfast treat ever. Yum!
If you plan to make these breakfast muffins ahead of time for a quick and easy, grab and go gluten free breakfast for work or school, keep them in an air-tight container in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. Zap each one in the microwave when you are ready to eat it for 10 seconds. Everyone will smell the bacon and think you have the most drool-worthy McFatty breakfast to be jealous of. Little will they know how healthy it is!
If you liked this recipe, which you obviously did, check out these similar, tasty meals!