It seems silly to have a recipe for salad, but let me tell you how quickly a salad can go wrong. I work in midtown NYC - the deli and salad bar capital of the world (well, according to me). Salads can quickly become boring but there is too much pressure to come up with something on the fly when the guys behind the salad bar are throwing options at you with rapid speed! "Choose one protein - choose 5 toppings - cheese? - choose a dressing - chopped? do you want bread or crackers?" Obviously I opt for no bread or crackers but the rest just adds to my already wild whirlwind of a day. I know, I know, sounds like a real problem. But if you don't choose the right ingredients, your salad can be boring, lackluster and even downright gross. I like to think I am talented in the art of building a salad.
This is one of my favorite combinations but I held the cheese and protein since I am currently on a cleanse. I usually either add goat or feta cheese and either grilled chicken or roasted turkey. Feel free to add those for extra taste, texture and protein! I love this salad because it is so balanced and healthy. You get your sweetness from the apples, hydration from the watery cucumber and celery, and healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil. This is one dense, crunchy and fabulous super green salad. Get ready to build a salad the way you can build a cute cuddly, teddy bear :) #saladqueen
Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 c. Arugula
- 1 c. Baby Kale
- 1 c. Baby Spinach
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1/2 Green Apple
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 stalk of Celery
- 1 handful Alfalfa Sprouts
- 2 tsp. Lemon Juice
From the Pantry:
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sprinkle Sea Salt (optional)
How to Build Your Salad:
- As pictured above, this is a quick and easy salad! Start with washing your veggies and fruit.
- Slice or dice each one. I opted for slices but this can be a tasty chopped or diced salad, too!
- Start with your leafy greens - arugula, kale and spinach.
- Next, add your cucumber slices and then chopped celery.
- Then, add your apple slices and avocado slices.
- Top with alfalfa sprouts and then squeeze half a lemon and drizzle the olive oil. Sprinkle sea salt for extra flavor!
You will have leftover ingredients, so check out these recipes to keep them from going to waste!
And in the spirit of alfalfa sprouts, Holly did her hair like Alfalfa from the Little Rascals :)