Sometimes the most simple recipes are the most exciting. For me, at least. Refrigerator Roulette, a game played often in my house, has caused me to almost look forward to the nights where I need to make a healthy meal, fast. I said almost. Come on, I'm not crazy! I'm just trying to find balance in my life wherever I can and letting go of the frustration associated with lost time is the first step. When you play Refrigerator Roulette, it becomes a contest where the winning criteria is a combination of creativity and deliciousness with an end goal of impressing your audience. My audience usually consists of Dave and Holly so I will let you guess which one is a tougher critic. Hint: Holly has been known to eat dust and dirt.
The recipes that are inspired by Refrigerator Roulette tend to consist of healthy packaged foods and ingredients that I already have in, well, the Refrigerator. The name might be more accurate if it included Pantry and Spice Rack but that would just be ridiculous. This particular recipe is made almost weekly in my home because we always have these simple ingredients on hand - brown rice, grilled chicken, feta cheese crumbles and lemon. The best part? If you follow my shopping tips below, you will not need more than a microwave or a quick saute in the skillet to make this awesomeness. Efficient, cost effective and healthy? You got it! #nobigdeal
Prep & Cook Time: 10 minutes (or less!)
Fresh From the Market:
- 1 lb. Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast (Precooked)
- 1/4 c. Feta Cheese Crumbles
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp. Butter (optional)
From the Pantry (or Freezer):
- 2 c. Brown Rice (Precooked)
From the Spice Rack:
- Dash of Sea Salt
- Dash of Black Pepper
- Citrus Press (optional)
- Skillet (optional)
- Okay, this seriously could not be more simple. Or delicious. Ready?
- First, let's talk about your options - precooked convenience or uncooked. All of the steps listed assume you are using precooked chicken and rice. If not, proceed with standard cooking instructions for each and bake in another 10 to 15 minutes. But then say goodbye to that precious time...
- Trader Joe's carries individually packaged grilled chicken. We like the pack of four in the refrigerated case, but they also carry strips and frozen strips. They also carry precooked brown rice, both frozen and dry.
- I prefer the feta cheese crumbles because you can easily sprinkle them into your recipe. Sometimes we swap in goat cheese crumbles for a tangier, creamier taste. That is the beauty of Refrigerator Roulette!
- Never, never, never skimp on the fresh lemon juice. It only takes 10 seconds to cut and squeeze a lemon so I don't ever want to hear that you used the little yellow squeezy bottle, please. Thank you.
- Time to heat it up and toss it together.
- Pop that rice in a microwave safe bowl and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Cut up your chicken and toss into the skillet. Spray with olive or coconut oil and heat it up over a low to medium flame.
- After 3 to 5 minutes, take the skillet off the flame. Add the rice, feta cheese, lemon juice and salt and pepper. We don't add butter because the lemon juice and cheese add a creamy texture, but feel free to add some butter.
- The colors may not be too exciting but this is as yummy as it is simple. Enjoy!
Meanwhile, Holly approves this recipe because we love lemons in this house...