Delusions of grandeur. I was worried my perception of this recipe was more incredible than it actually is because it's associated with a happy memory. Thankfully, that is not the case. Dave loved it, minus the beets. I begged and pleaded but he just couldn't do it. Beets are to Dave what mayonnaise is to me. Enough said. But back to my happy memory. Two of my best friends live in LA so I visit once a year. Though I miss them dearly, it is an amazing excuse to find my way to one of my favorite cities. I love LA for the sunshine, the food and obviously, my friends. My most recent trip last Fall, was as fabulous as always. I promised my friends I would try to recreate a delicious salad we had at a trendy restaurant in Manhattan Beach, so here it is. If I could just pick up and move tomorrow, without any implications, I would live in that adorable little town. I wish I remembered the name of the restaurant where we had this delicious salad, but we spent the day at the Malibu winery...so...I don't recall :)
Why do I love this salad so much? It makes me remember a fun girl's night filled with great food, great wine and great conversation. But back to the salad. The kale is slightly cooked and crispy which brings out the flavor and adds texture to the salad. The quinoa portion is small and does not overpower (and over-carb) this healthy salad. I always love the combo of beets and goat cheese and there has to be lemon anywhere I am concerned. What's even better? This salad was surprisingly made on a night when I played refrigerator roulette, having just traveled back home from a long weekend in FL. That equals, use the leftover-produce-before-it-goes-bad and there-is-no-meat-in-the-fridge so it was a good thing I had been previously inspired. I hope this salad lives up to the one we had in November. The good news is, if it doesn't, I don't think we would even realize :) #californiadreamin
Serves: 1 to 2
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Fresh From the Market:
- 3 c. Shredded Kale
- 1/2 c. chopped Beets
- 1 oz. Chevre (Goat Cheese)
- 1 Lemon (2 tbsp. juice, 2 tsp. zest)
From the Pantry or Fridge:
- 1/2 c. White Quinoa (cooked)
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
From the Spice Rack:
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- So, yes, there is a little bit of cooking required for this salad. Weird, I know! If you keep cooked quinoa in the fridge (I hope you do) it allows you to speed past the next step and onto building your salad.
- Follow the instructions on the quinoa package to cook 1 cup. Always rinse and drain your quinoa. Then boil 2 c. water with 1 c. quinoa (a little sea salt, if you want) for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Shred the kale with a knife (classy) or by ripping it (caveman) and toss it into a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook it over a low flame for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly crispy and crunchy.
- Now, build your salad as seen above. Cook your kale, add quinoa, add beets, add goat cheese, add lemon zest and mix with lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Yum.
If you have leftovers, check out these other recipes with kale, quinoa, beets and goat cheese! Lemons are kind of a given, so head back to the blog page and search for all recipes with lemon!
Kale & Apple Salad with Lemon Ginger Dressing, Super Greens Salad, DIY Detox Smoothies, Truffle Eggs, Quinoa & Greens, Quinoa Salad with Feta, Pom Seeds & Raisins, Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad, Healthy Mac & Cheese, Gluten Free Zucchini Lasagna