Macadamia nuts always make me feel a little fancy and the holidays certainly call for some fancy cookies. If I were truly a fabulously fancy person, I would be able to fulfill my lifelong dream of having a picture and music montage of my life. Sometimes, just like all of my favorite rom-coms and 80's movies, I picture significant moments of my life accompanied by my favorite songs in a beautifully edited scene. Too much information? Probably not. I am pretty sure you do this too :)
Speaking of needing a soundtrack to my life, it does not feel like the holidays if I don't play Christmas music from Thanksgiving through New Year's Eve. I am talking all the time - while cleaning, driving, working, reading, blogging, and especially while baking and cooking. When I was younger, my parents had the best CD mixes for the holidays but my sister and I had a bad habit of stealing them and then losing or breaking them. Whoops...not proud of that! I am sure I will share some of my clumsy, uncoordinated stories in later posts that will explain my nickname, Messy Jessy. But I digress. I am now thankful for the music streaming capabilities we have today, not only because they are just plain awesome, but there is a much lower probability of loss or destruction. I am loyal to Spotify and Pandora, but Songza really takes the cake when I want to be surprised with the perfect soundtrack to my life. They nailed it with their Christmas playlists which provided the inspiration and motivation I needed to make these cookies for my co-workers on an evening where all I wanted to do was go to bed. Thank you Songza, because these cookies are fabulous, just like you. #soundtracktomylife
Serves: 24 to 48
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Fresh From the Market:
- 1 c. Earth Balance Coconut or Buttery Spread
- 1 Organic Brown Egg
- 1 c. Sunspire White Chocolate Chips (gluten free and refined sugar free)
From the Pantry:
- 1 c. Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 c. Arrowroot
- 1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
- 1 c. Coconut Sugar
- 1 c. Macadamia Nuts
From the Spice Rack:
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- Food Processor
- Hand Mixer
- 2 Large Mixing Bowls
- Whisk and Wooden Spoon
- Parchment Paper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Toss the macadamia nuts into the food processor and pulse for a few seconds to chop the nuts. They should still be chunky so don't chop too long or else you will have a flour or meal. Set aside with the white chocolate chips.
- In one mixing bowl, combine the brown rice flour, arrowroot and xanthan gum. Whisk together, add the sea salt and set aside.
- In the other mixing bowl, combine the coconut sugar and earth balance spread. Mix on low with the hand mixer and add the egg. Continue to mix until smooth and fully blended.
- Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet and blend with the hand mixer.
- Once fully blended, add the dairy free and grain sweetened chocolate chips. Mix together with a large wooden spoon and set aside.
- Line the baking sheet with the parchment paper for an easy clean up or spray the sheet lightly.
- To make two dozen cookies, use a tablespoon to scoop the dough onto the baking sheet. To make three to four dozen, scoop with a teaspoon or heaping teaspoon.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges start to brown lightly. Stick a toothpick in the middle to ensure it is done, take the pan out and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Then move the cookies to a cooling rack for another 10 to 15 minutes or until fully cool.
If you liked these cookies, you might want to try my other holiday dessert recipes. Dairy Free Peppermint Bark, Gluten Free & Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Gluten Free and Dairy Free Peanut Butter Blossoms. In fact, make all of these yummy treats for Santa because his big belly could use some healthier cookies this Christmas.
But as always, be careful of little furry friends who want to steal Santa's cookies!
In the words of Elf (my top 3 favorite holiday movies), "You're not Santa...you smell like beef and cheese (dog biscuits), you don't smell like Santa." Ok, so I took some creative liberties there... Happy Baking!
Looking for more gluten free and dairy free cookie and dessert recipes? Well you are in luck! Check out these other delicious recipes to satisfy even the healthiest sweet tooth :)