Thin Mints might be the all time best Girl Scout cookie...possibly even the best cookie, period. While I miss earning patches for helping others as a Girl Scout, I think I miss the delicious gluten-filled chocolatey goodness of Thin Mints more. Thank goodness I found a way to enjoy the mint chocolate taste, minus the dairy, gluten and sugar!
While this may not be your traditional peppermint bark, it tastes just as delicious and will be kinder to your overall health. The white and dark chocolate are both coconut based, sweetened with agave and flavored with peppermint extract. I hope this delicious dairy free and gluten free dessert finds a place in your cookie exchange this holiday season!
Serves: 12 to 24 (depending how small the pieces)
Prep & Cook Time: 25 minutes
From the Pantry:
- 1 c. Coconut Butter
- 1/2 c. Coconut Oil
- 1 c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp. & 3 tbsp. Agave, Divided
- 1/3 c. Coconut Flakes
From the Spice Rack:
- 3/4 tsp. & 1 1/2 tsp. Peppermint Extract, Divided
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Small Baking Sheet (size of a toaster oven broil pan)
- 2 Large Mixing Bowls
- Parchment Paper
- Fill a large pot or bowl with warm water and put the coconut butter and coconut oil jars in the water (with lids screwed tightly on!) to warm up the butter and oil. If they sit for a few minutes, you will be able to easily scoop out the measurements needed.
- This peppermint bark is layered, so you will prepare the white and dark chocolate layers separately. The good news is, this is a no bake recipe so all you need is a few minutes in the fridge!
- The white chocolate layer comes first. This is because the dark chocolate serves as a nice contrast for the coconut flakes, which will be sprinkled on top for the final step.
- Put the coconut butter, 2 tbsp. agave and 3/4 tsp. peppermint extract into a large mixing bowl. Save the other ingredients for the dark chocolate step which comes shortly after.
- Whisk everything together until smooth and creamy. If the coconut butter is too hard, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds (only if the bowl is microwave safe, of course!).
- Put a piece of parchment paper on the baking sheet and carefully pour the white chocolate mixture in the shape of a rectangle. Pop it in the fridge for 10 minutes or until hard.
- Next comes the dark chocolate! In the other mixing bowl, put the coconut oil, 3 tbsp. agave and 1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract. Start mixing and gradually add the unsweetened cocoa powder. Taste it and decide if you want more cocoa or more peppermint, depending on your preferred taste. I prefer it more minty :)
- Whisk until creamy and blended. This can go in the microwave, too, if the oil is too hard.
- Take the white chocolate out of the fridge. Start to peel a corner off the parchment paper to make sure it is fully hardened. You are ready to add the dark chocolate if it doesn't stick to the paper.
- Slowly pour the dark chocolate mixture over the white chocolate. Then, sprinkle the coconut flakes evenly across the top. Pop it back in the fridge for 10 minutes and then you are ready to serve it!