I have fond memories of waiting patiently (or not so patiently) for Al the ice cream man to drive down my block. Ice cream. Italian ice. Snow cones. Happiness. When I was 7, my mom mandated that I could only have lemon Italian ice after a very messy snow cone incident. Maybe I should thank her for my love of lemons and thereby my blog name?
I still love ice cream and sorbet to this day, but they are ridden with unfriendly ingredients - sugar and heavy dairy. But never fear, a healthy (and incredibly delicious and nutritious) alternative is here! There are two quick and easy versions of this banana ice cream recipe. One for chocolate lovers and one for those who enjoy the peanut butter and banana taste on its own. Kids (or your significant other) will love this and won't even know it is healthy! #feelinglikeakidagain
Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes (although you should plan to freeze the banana the night before)
Fresh From the Market:
- 1 Banana (sliced and frozen)
From the Pantry (or Fridge if Opened):
- 1 tbsp. Almond Butter
- 1 tbsp. Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (Optional)
- Food Processor or Blender
- Plan ahead and freeze the banana(s). This recipe makes one serving because I do not like to freeze the ice cream afterwards - it does not keep very well. However, it would be smart to freeze a bunch of bananas so you can pull them out whenever you want ice cream. Quick tip - freeze each individual sliced banana in separate plastic sandwich bags so it is easy to make each serving.
- When the banana is frozen (6 to 8 hours), pop the slices into the food processor or blender.
- Measure a tablespoon of each of the remaining ingredients (add the cocoa powder only if you want chocolate ice cream!). Add each to the food processor, one at a time. I recommend measuring the almond butter last since it is sticky.
- Blend everything together in the food processor, serve immediately and watch the instant smiles appear.
Looking for more gluten free and dairy free dessert recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth? Check these out!