Oh the woes of working long hours while trying so earnestly to adhere to my strict dietary needs. When you walk in the door just hours (or minutes!) before your head will hit the pillow, you want something quick and healthy that does not break the rules (or the bank). Just one of many 10 minute meals, this one has 3 simple, packaged (but minimally processed) ingredients to keep you full and happy before bed. It is also reminiscent of the sausage and peppers of days past. Though I used to love it, I no longer enjoy the highly processed Italian sausage and inevitable heartburn so this quick recipe is a delightful alternative. #savingtime
Prep & Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 10 oz. (or 1 cup) Organic Brown Rice (microwaveable saves the most time!)
- 5 links Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage (Trader Joe's)
- 2 tbsp. Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Tapenade (Trader Joe's)
I know, I know. I shop at Trader Joe's A LOT! But their food is so delicious and nutritious that I often find my #healthypackagedfood there. Aside from slicing the sausage, this meal is basically ready to be tossed from the package, to a skillet, to a bowl in less than 10 minutes.
- Take all 5 sausage links out of the package. Slice each link down the middle and then into smaller pieces.
- Spray olive oil into the skillet and turn the heat to a medium flame. While doing this, pop a bag of the microwaveable organic brown rice into the...where else?...microwave! This heats up in about 3 minutes and allows you to show off your amazing multitasking skills.
- Heat the sliced sausage in the skillet, stirring and turning frequently. Since the sausage is precooked, it will not take more than 3 to 4 minutes to get it hot and sizzling.
- Once the microwave dings, add the rice and the 2 tbsp of tapenade to the skillet. It will start to sizzle so lower the flame and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Voila! Dinner is served :)