This recipe might be the best dish I have ever made. I cannot describe how fresh and delightful the flavors are, paired with light base ingredients that leave you feeling satisfied and nothing short of happy. This is delicious all on its own but can also be paired with chicken, lamb and even seafood. Enjoy this vibrant quinoa salad, a gluten free grain, that balances sweet and tangy flavors without any added or refined sugars. Even the colors of the ingredients alone make me smile. #freshfood
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Fresh From the Market:
- 1/4 c. Pomegranate Seeds
- 1/2 c. Feta Cheese
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Mint
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Parsley
From the Pantry:
- 1 c. Organic White Quinoa
- 1/4 c. Raisins
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
From the Spice Rack:
- 1/8 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 qt. Pot
- Citrus Press or Juicer
- Fine Cheese Grater
- Always rinse and drain quinoa thoroughly in cold water before cooking. For this dish, I prefer Trader Joe's gluten free white quinoa because it has a bland flavor that lets all of the herbs and fruits do the work. Tri-color quinoa has a stronger taste and is fantastic as a standalone, gluten free grain.
- Place 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water in the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the herbs and fruits to be added to the cooked quinoa.
- Chop the mint and parsley into fine, flat pieces and combine with the sea salt and pepper.
- Zest 1 tsp. of the lemon rind against the fine (small) holes of the cheese grater.
- Cut the lemon in half and juice one piece for 1 tbsp. of lemon juice (depending on the size of the lemon, you might need to juice both sides).
- Measure the raisins, feta cheese and pomegranate seeds. As you do this, feel proud of yourself for finding a way to incorporate one of the most beneficial superfoods, pomegranate seeds.
- Mix it all together in a large bowl, making sure to coat all of the ingredients with the lemon olive oil and herbs.
And voila! A delicious and healthy meal for dinner, lunch and even a snack. If you are really hungry, pair this with grilled chicken or lamb to add more protein.