Spinach is one of the easiest and most versatile vegetables to add to a meal. It is delicious both cooked and uncooked, is in season year round and is one of the many superfoods that should be included in your healthy eating routine. Add my favorite flavor, lemon, and simple spices like sea salt and pepper, and you have a quick side dish for any meal. #popeyethesailorman
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Fresh From the Market:
- 6 oz Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 tbsp. Lemon
From the Pantry:
- 1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
From the Spice Rack:
- 1/8 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- Citrus Press or Juicer
- Cut the lemon in two and press each piece in the citrus press or juicer. Measure 1 tbsp. and hold to the side.
- Heat the skillet on a low flame and add the olive oil. Allow the oil to heat up for two minutes.
- Once you hear a slight sizzle, add the and lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.
- Then add the fresh spinach and cook until wilted (about 3 to 5 minutes). Stir frequently to coat all of the spinach in the olive oil and lemon.
Serve as a side dish, snack or light meal. The simple flavors added to the spinach allow this dish to be served with so many different options, such as my recipe for Rack of Lamb and gluten free Polenta. I like to add feta cheese when I am not pairing this side dish with an entree. It adds flavor and a creamy texture and isn't a hard dairy to digest.