I love pumpkin season. Who doesn't?! Fall is one of my favorite times of year - the cool, crisp weather, the opportunity to showcase my new sweaters and boots, the bold, vibrant colors of nature and the harvest...
Nowadays, I am awakened from my dreamy state by the reality that I cannot enjoy the taste of Fall as easily as I used to. Think about it - pumpkin pie, apple pie, pumpkin coffee (aka sugar ), pumpkin butter on toast. All of my favorite autumn treats are loaded with sugar and gluten. How will I ever fulfill my need for nostalgia and the ability to actually taste one of my favorite seasons?
I can simply make this tasty and simple snack in 10 minutes or less, guilt and gluten free! #pumpkin
Serving Size: 1
Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes
Fresh From the Market:
- 1 tbsp. Whipped Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp. Pumpkin Butter
- 1 tsp. Earth Balance Buttery Spread
From the Pantry:
- 2 Slices Gluten Free Bread
- Pop the two slices of bread in the toaster or toaster oven. Because gluten free bread tends to be dry and has a tendency to crumble, I prefer to toast it on high (don't burn it though!). I have tried a number of gluten free breads but my favorites are Udi's and Glutino. The whole grain is delicious and healthy, but the white bread makes you feel like a kid again.
- Once fully toasted, spread 1/2 tsp. of buttery spread on each slice of bread to make the bread melty and delicious.
- Then, spread a 1/2 tbsp. each of cream cheese, followed by the pumpkin butter, and voila!
I prefer Earth Balance Buttery Spreads because they are dairy free and healthier than butter or margarine. I don't have the highest tolerance for soy, so I often opt for the soy free version. Trader Joe's pumpkin butter is an amazing seasonal treasure that hits shelves every October so stock up now if you want to enjoy it past the season. Their pumpkin butter is not loaded with sugar like some others I have sampled. I also prefer Trader Joe's whipped cream cheese for the times I just have to have it (I never claimed to be fully dairy free!).
ENJOY! And make extras. Especially if you want to avoid this:
Don't say I didn't warn you! If you're not careful, you will have a mystery bite. Oh, and this snack has been "Holly Approved" :)